
This is that sad time of year when all my dried and preserved fruit is almost gone. I ate the last of my dried apricots the other day and we have only a few small rolls of apricot leather left. I am rationing our home-canned applesauce supply and much to our chagrin have made us eat the dreaded store canned sauce. Morgan cannot even believe that it is made from apples. In years past i have comforted myself by walking around the neighborhood looking at fruit trees and estimating the harvest i may be able to attain from kind neighbors. This year, sadly, i cannot even do that as those trees are far, far away.

Yesterday i walked into a roadside produce stand to see what price they put on their apricots. It was nearly 10x the price from my favorite Willis boys sidewalk apricot stand. I was sorely disappointed. I made the mistake of smelling an apricot and could not resist buying just one as a special treat. Oh how i miss those neighborhood apricot trees and Gramps' apple trees. I hardly know how i will survive the fall without being able to harvest and preserve more fruit. In the meantime i will ration out our supply and savor every bite of that wonderful Utah fruit. Thanks to all who have shared your bounty with me throughout the years.
No comments:
Post a Comment